Listen, look, observe... debate respectfully but not passively (and use lots of swears).

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

If God has a plan, why do people pray and ask that he change it?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Boom-Down
Tempered Sword
Tempered Sword

PostSubject: If God has a plan, why do people pray and ask that he change it?   Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:58 pm

(Disclaimer: The following is not true, don't feel sorry for me.)

Scenario: My 25 year old cousin was in a car accident. His vitals are failing, and doctors don't think he will live for very much longer. My family and I all pray to God every day and night for our cousin to get better. My cousin passes away. At his funeral, his father gives a eulogy, and in it says that God has a plan, and decided it was our cousin's time to go to Heaven.

So wait a minute. If God's plan was to put my cousin through a life-ending car accident, why did we bother praying to him? How arrogant of me to think that his plan is wrong and should be changed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gillascake
Tempered Sword
Tempered Sword

PostSubject: Re: If God has a plan, why do people pray and ask that he change it?   Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:28 am

They pray to god in place of a therapist... someone who listens to you.

It's cheaper.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://heylisten.forumotion.com
Boom-Down
Tempered Sword
Tempered Sword

PostSubject: Re: If God has a plan, why do people pray and ask that he change it?   Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:43 am

Haha.

But then why don't you say during your prayers, "God, I'm so sad. I don't know whether or not you're going to take my dear cousin, but it's making me really sad. Thank for listening, bro."

Instead of saying "God, I don't give a shit what your master plan is, I want my cousin alive."

Because that's implying that you know better than God.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rebel with a Cause
Sword
Sword

PostSubject: Re: If God has a plan, why do people pray and ask that he change it?   Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:12 am

I love how people talk to "God" like it's something tangible. Like there is something there that thinks and has control over things.

If anything God is more of an idea of people's emotions, souls, etc. being put into an invisible mass somewhere that interlocks people in some way.

Well since "God" isn't a person on a throne like people think how can he/it have any plans at all?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Boom-Down
Tempered Sword
Tempered Sword

PostSubject: Re: If God has a plan, why do people pray and ask that he change it?   Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:45 pm

Yeah, true. Well said. I WISH that's all God was, but people are so... delusional...

Clearly, we are going to have to ask an actual religious person for an answer. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gillascake
Tempered Sword
Tempered Sword

PostSubject: Re: If God has a plan, why do people pray and ask that he change it?   Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:00 pm

Emotions interlocking makes a lot more sense than the big bearded man in the sky.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://heylisten.forumotion.com
Rebel with a Cause
Sword
Sword

PostSubject: Re: If God has a plan, why do people pray and ask that he change it?   Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:17 pm

A religious person would give us all the answers we need! Very Happy Shocked Evil or Very Mad

Thanks though.

Glad I'm not the only one who feels that way somewhat.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
reallylongnamehaha
Unarmed
Unarmed

PostSubject: Re: If God has a plan, why do people pray and ask that he change it?   Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:05 am

So, I don't believe in God, or anything, for that matter. But if I did, I'd tell you that God doesn't need your prayers. He asks you to pray to him for your own sake. By praying, you are exerting effort to rescue your cousin, and that will power can remove God's reason for taking that cousin's life. Life is simple without God, but explaining how it works when you claim He is there can be quite entertaining stuff. So go ahead and debat with my alternative self who "believes" in God... the best you can do is draw him to a stale mate, but you'll never win. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Boom-Down
Tempered Sword
Tempered Sword

PostSubject: Re: If God has a plan, why do people pray and ask that he change it?   Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:19 am

reallylongnamehaha wrote:
By praying, you are exerting effort to rescue your cousin, and that will power can remove God's reason for taking that cousin's life.
whaaaat? But God already decided. It's all part of his plan. What I do or don't do shouldn't make any difference.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: If God has a plan, why do people pray and ask that he change it?   

Back to top Go down

If God has a plan, why do people pray and ask that he change it?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1